Jazz Birth Center of Manhattan (Jazz)
Spacious and bright, Jazz has three birthing suites, each with a double bed, modern en-suite bathroom with walk-in shower, a refrigerator, family locker, and large portable water pool. The birth center includes a fully equipped triage area for admission, and a prenatal and postpartum clinic.
- Jazz was opened in the wake of an urgent need for low risk pregnant people to have an option of out of hospital birth due to Covid-19 and allows equitable access to a licensed quality and safe birth center. It is planned to remain in Manhattan permanently.
- Jazz is a licensed birth center facility for pre-approved low-risk clients for childbirth and newborn care in accordance with the Standards of the American Association of Birth Centers and Commission for Accreditation of Birth Centers
- The professionals at Jazz are guided by principles of the midwifery model of care in unmedicated physiologic birth, intensive labor support, prevention, safety, sensitivities, self-reliance, appropriate medical intervention and shared informed-decision.
- Jazz has a written transfer agreement with the Mount Sinai West Hospital (MSW) for seamless transfer when mom needs traditional medical care and interventions available in a hospital. MSW is located 7 blocks or a 9 minute walk from Jazz.
- Jazz encourages family participation and support by allowing the presence of anyone whom the laboring woman desires at the birth, however during Covid-19, presence of family and support is limited to two people, including your doula and also other restrictions of adherence to safety rules adopted by Jazz for the mom and any support team.